Crossing, a drama series based on the critically acclaimed best-selling verse novel by Newbery Medal winner and Coretta Scott King Book Awards honored author Kwame Alexander, has been ordered to series premiere on Disney+.
- The pilot episode was directed by George Tillman, Jr. (The hate you give, for life) and was written by Kwame Alexander and Damani Johnson (All stand up).
- Executive producers include Todd Harthan (The Resident, Rosewood), Damani Johnson, Kwame Alexander, George Tillman, Jr., Bob Teitel and Jay Marcus.
- Additionally, LeBron James, Maverick Carter and Jamal Henderson of The SpringHill Company are joining the project as executive producers.
- The Disney Branded Television series will be produced by 20th Television and production will begin in February.
What they say :
- Ayo Davis, President, Disney Branded Television: “We are honored to bring the poignant, moving and poetic story of Kwame Alexander to our Disney+ audience in partnership with this exceptional group of creative talent.”
- Crossing features teenage brothers Josh and JB Bell, a widely regarded basketball phenom. Through his lyrical poetry, Josh tells the story of their coming of age, on and off the court, as their father, a former professional basketball player, adjusts to life after basketball. ball, and that their mother can finally pursue her own dreams.
- Jaylyn Hall as Josh Bell
- Amir O’Neil as JB Bell
- Derek Luke (The purge) as Chuck Bell
- Sabrina Revelle (Zac & Mia) as Crystal Bell
- Skyla I’Lece (Filming: Washington’s Spies) as Alex
- Already Monique Cruz (Law and Order: SVU) like Maya
- Trevor Raine Bush (After) as Vondie
About the Author:
- Kwame Alexander is a New York Times bestselling author of 28 books, including The Undefeated, Swing and Rebound.
- NPR Morning Edition Poet-in-Residence, he has received numerous awards, including the Coretta Scott King Author Honor, the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Prize, the 2017 Inaugural Pat Conroy Legacy Award, and three NAACP Image Award nominations.
- Alexander is co-founder of LEAP, an international literacy organization that built the Barbara E. Memorial Library and Health Clinic in the Eastern Region of Ghana, and the founder of VERSIFY, an imprint of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt that publishes books that engage, entertain and empower young people to imagine a better world.